Current request filters

Discuss topics on Progressive Rock Radio and Progressive Metal Radio !

Moderator: SteveM

SteveM

Current request filters

Post by SteveM »

At scout's request, I've made a slight change in the request filters. We are now only allowed to queue one epic ( >= 13:00) at a time.

The current request checking is as follows: The request fails at the first TRUE or YES
  • Is song is an invalid song or is already queued?
    Is today Tuesday or Saturday (two-fer days) and the song is an epic?
    Is the song and epic and does the requester already have an epic queued?
    Has the same artist been requested more than 28 times in the last 7 days?
    Has the requester requested the same artist 5 or more times in the last 10 plays (in the last 7 days)?
    Has the requester requested the same song 10 or more times in the last 7 days?
    Has the song been played in the last 6 hours?
    Has the album been played in the last 4 hours (or 1 hour if new, ie, less than 30 days on the station)?
    Has the artist been played in the last 3 hours (or 1 hour if new)?
    Is the song too long for the queue (ie, longer than 15 minutes if the queue is over 4 hours)?
After these checks, the request is made, which then also must pass some SAM (the broadcasting software) filters mostly dealing with how many songs you can request based on the duration of the queue.

* Epic is defined as >= 13:00 duration.
Per Scout:
Request policy based on the length of the queue:

<15 min/5 per hour
15-30 min/4 per hour
30-60 min/3 per hour,
60-90 min/2 per hour
90-120 min/1 per hour
>120 min/1 per 1.5 hr
Last edited by SteveM on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
subphreeze

Post by subphreeze »

Nice request rules...

I kinda feel sorry for the songs. Now songs have even more rigorous rules to be held to, as if it wasn't enough that some songs are mistreated by artists afflicted with substance or mental issues (or lack of talent). But then, some songs are like bastard children with behavioral issues that no amount of nurturing, medication or incarceration can alter positively. We just have to live with and tolerate them (or tune them out).

Maybe one of the first rules should be,
"Is it a shitty song? If so, consider that your fellow Proguli would have to endure it's entirety, and you may be subjected to mild ridicule on the tagboard. But YOU have every right to request this song, even if for selfish reasons. Perhaps, though, you might reconsider for a brief moment that there are literally THOUSANDS of better songs in the library for you to choose from, songs that may even gain you some praise for choosing. If it's your first time selecting the song, you may get a pass, but be cognizant of any ratings. Of course, in the interest of song rights (not that all songs are created equally, but that all songs should have a right to be heard at least once), your choice should not be influenced by a possible group consensus that the song you are about to choose is aurally displeasing. It's your request! Go ahead and please yourself. We just wanted you to at least think about your choice first."
King T-Bo

Post by King T-Bo »

So wait, there can only be one epic in the queue at a time? Or is it each person can only request one at a time?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Each person can request only one epic at a time. That should not hamper choices too much ;)
Zaii

Post by Zaii »

Is an epic classed as >13minutes, as it is on saturdays? I remember when we had twofer tuesdays....that was a nice bit of alliteration...
Last edited by Zaii on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erpman

Post by Erpman »

I may have got the wrong end of the stick, but why are epics not allowed on Saturdays?
Zaii

Post by Zaii »

because the comp. picks a second song from the band you choose, if people could choose epics then the queue becomes a gargantuan beast...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You are correct, Zaii. An epic is defined as 13 minutes, regardless of the day of week.
Erpman

Post by Erpman »

...but with the exception of maybe the Transatlantic albums, there is probably very little chance that 2 epics are picked at the same time. Just out of interest and if such a thing is searchable, what is the percentage of epics on Progulus? and what is the percentage of albums with more than 1 epic?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Hehe, Erpman - You know I can never leave a request for math to go unheeded :)

Surprisingly, the percentage of epics is rather low:
Epics: 835 (2.4%)
Non-Epics: 33548 (97.6%)

But, due to their duration epics have a much larger percentage of play: (for the month of April 2009)
All: 6781 plays (731.6 hours duration, average duration 6:28)
Epics: 348 plays (14.3% duration for 5.1% of plays, average duration 18:05)
Non-Epics: 6433 plays (85.7% duration for 94.9% of plays, average duration 5:51)

Not there is anything wrong with that ;) The potential problems arise when someone requests 2 or 3 epics in a row, which ties up the queue for thirty minutes to an hour or more, even if no one else is requesting. In fairness to other requesters, it would be better to limit a requester to place just one epic at a time in the queue. Once it has left the queue, it is fair game to request another.

For your other questions: Out of the 4,700 albums on Progulus, 639 albums have epics (13.6%) , with 154 having more than 1 epic on the album (3.2%).

I hope this helps.
Last edited by SteveM on Sun May 03, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ray

Post by ray »

wait... 4.700 albums? The stats function on the website must be operating erroneus, it says it's 3.400.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I was just noticing that Ray.

There is a difference in the two queries - one goes by distinct album titles, the larger is distinct artist and album.

The problems are:
- the 3518 can be artificially small because artists can have albums of the same title.
- the 4700 is distinct artist/album, but there are many albums which have more than one artist, so that is artificially inflated.

I'm still tossed on which is the best way to calculate it using the database that is available.
Erpman

Post by Erpman »

Heh! Cheers Steve, that's all very interesting. It surprised me the number of epics that are played as a percentage of air time, but then I guess if you want decent epics, Progulus is the place to come....unless its off Polars :wink:
lastglow

Post by lastglow »

Great improvement for the station. Very fair rules and not too restrictive.
Thanks to you, SteveM and scout.
dyslexieker

Post by dyslexieker »

Good rules ! The style of prog chances after every song!
Keep up the good work.